Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Manhattan List


I think everyone should have a Manhattan list. Maybe that should be 'must' have a Manhattan list.

For the uninitiated, the Manhattan list is a list of the most famous people you would like to visit on the island of Manhattan. And kill.

Huh?

Just kidding. Relax. Dont take everything so seriously.

The Manhattan list stems from a famous scene in Woody Allen's classic 1979 film of the same name. The scene goes like this:
Woody Allen's character talks into a recorder, listing out the things that make life worth living. His list goes like this : "Why is life worth living? It's a very good question. Um... Well, There are certain things I guess that make it worthwhile. uh... Like what... okay... um... For me, uh... ooh... I would say... what, Groucho Marx, to name one thing... uh... um... and Wilie Mays... and um... the 2nd movement of the Jupiter Symphony... and um... Louis Armstrong, recording of Potato Head Blues... um... Swedish movies, naturally... Sentimental Education by Flaubert... uh... Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra... um... those incredible Apples and Pears by Cezanne... uh... the crabs at Sam Wo's... uh... Tracy's face..."

So basically the list has to be
one movie star/comedian, one sportsman, two bits of music, one genre or type of movies, a book, two actors, a painting, a food item and the one you love. (its my idea, so its my rules :) )

Here is my list:
Groucho Marx, Rafa Nadal, Traveling Wilbury's End of the Line, Bob Dylan's Simple Twist of Fate, Truffaut movies, Anna Karenina, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro,  Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring, the pongal breakfast at HSB in Chennai, and ...well, that's personal :)

So, if you stumble onto this page while looking for montytalks or by design, feel free to put in your own Manhattan list in the comments. And if you dont have one, hang your head in shame, for you should.

9 comments:

  1. Nice start... My Manhattan list keeps changing and I refuse to confine to a fixed set... The list as of this moment - I can't pinpoint one comedian, Rahul Dravid, Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, Sinatra's The way you look tonight, intelligent comedy, Moors last sigh, Kamal Hassan, Meryl Streep, Starry nights by Van Gogh, The chicken biriyani at Virudhunagar and yes it is personal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is an interesting way of looking at it! For me, it does not change too much - I doubt I will read or listen to something now that will displace a personal favorite!

      Delete
  2. Here's my list - Billy Crystal, Rahul Dravid, Enya's Only Time, Pink Floyd's Coming Back to Life, Satire, Hesse's Siddhartha, Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Munch's The Scream, my grandmother's cooking (sorry, can't single out any item), my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was a Floyd fan and I have never heard of Coming Back To Like!

      Delete
    2. Friends who are Floyd fans recommended the usual ones to me - High Hopes, Comfortably Numb, etc. But this one stuck, probably because of the lyrics too.

      Delete
  3. okay, I guess I will have to hang my head in shame cuz I don't have a list :( but the good bit is I want to make one now... good post, want to read mre from your kitty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite actors keeps on changing though. Here's my list as of now. Woody Allen, Rafael Nadal, Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a dream, Time by floyd, Tarantino Movies, 1984, Irene jacob, Irrfan khan, Persistence of memory, Karol Bagh Chicken rolls, and , well, will get back on that later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bit late but here is my list- Chaplin, Sunil gavaskar, 9th rock from the sun by Prasanna, janani janani by illayaraja, romantic comedy, The Success Principles by Jack Canfield, Tom Hanks and kamalhassan, Japanese garden and water lillies by Monet. Homemade curd rice, and Anchitha, my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The list is meant to change, I think. Or atleast that's how I see it.

      Delete

Review: Crossing the Line

Crossing the Line by Gideon Haigh My rating: 3 of 5 stars This is a very timely book, and yet it misses ...